Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!08,000 miles, last 50,000 with me over 5 years or more. Only needed an alternator about 8,000 miles ago. On Wednesday drove 30 miles to Poole along the dual carriageway but 10 miles from home on the return journey
on the open road briefly lacked power ( wouldn't rev going up a modest hill in 5th gear at about 70mph ). Again yesterday
stopped revving at low speed in low gear, so parked up.Today one brief episode moving off in first, hung fire briefly as I joined flat main road. After 3-4 miles the engine warning light came on and stayed on until I got home 5 minutes later.
Will driving a short distance ( eg to Mechanic ) risk damage ?
Tom, Southampton

·
Registered
122 Posts
should be fine. sounds like its gone into limp mode so could be a number of problems, needs plugged in by garage or someone who has software to see exact fault

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should be fine. sounds like its gone into limp mode so could be a number of problems, needs plugged in by garage or someone who has software to see exact fault
Thanks Wolfy, when the engine warning light also came on I took it to a competent engine management guy, he is always busy but I know he'll find the fault sooner or later, as he did a similar fault which showed an error code straight away in my son's 2008 1.6 petrol Cmax. I still think in terms of check the points, plugs, leads and so on , not so aware of how things moved on! Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get in the seat, on the end of the indicator stalk is a press in button, press and hold it it, then switch on the ignition.

Hold that button in till the dashboard reports TEST

Now release the button and press it once, keep pressing untill you see DTC CODES

Leave the button alone, every 3 seconds it will show the codes it has stored, they will cycle thru on there own, write them all down and report back.

To exit the test mode, simply switch the ignition of, wait a moment, and turn on as normal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get in the seat, on the end of the indicator stalk is a press in button, press and hold it it, then switch on the ignition.

Hold that button in till the dashboard reports TEST

Now release the button and press it once, keep pressing untill you see DTC CODES

Leave the button alone, every 3 seconds it will show the codes it has stored, they will cycle thru on there own, write them all down and report back.

To exit the test mode, simply switch the ignition of, wait a moment, and turn on as normal
Thanks Just Another Driver, great to learn about the TEST function. The garage eventually replaced the EGR assembly, after "global testing". They do quite a lot of work for a main dealer when the latter are stuck, and I rely on them more than I would the Ford main dealer, but any new knowledge is very welcome. I replaced the tailgate switch ( with one bought from Silverlake breakers ) recently, but anything more complex these days seems a lottery unless you know someone you can trust. Tom Southampton.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well for future refrence, you can clean the EGR yourself, its fairly simple, as i recall 3 bolts, and a metal pipe, its on the back right corner (on mine) of the block

Whip the bolts off,whip the sensor our, dump it in a bowl of hot soapy water for a day,rinse and refit :)

Its not a tall order to do at home, might be a bit fiddly to get out,but not difficult.

In a perfect world you would clean the EGR with every service

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, for the suggestion, sounds easier than dismantling and cleaning out brake drums as I used to do long ago.
I see it in the Haynes manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts